The background is an opml file for my RSS news feeds. Click on image for the thrilling details! 🙂
Having more fun goofing around with fonts. I’m not sure this one is quite up to Earthpages’ standards. I originally wanted a smart looking woman with a slightly confused, bewildered or exasperated expression. But I couldn’t find a good image along those lines.
This one is okay. Places on a map, as it were…
I was goofing around with some software, seeing if a certain filter gave a random or the same effect each time. Turns out it was random.
When it generated this, I knew it was the one. If you look carefully, maybe with the fullsize image, you can make out a face in the circle. To me this looked like someone peeking thru a wormhole. Not that we can do that now. Not in a controlled or coordinated way. But sometime in the future, who knows..?
While i was working on this photo (below) the banner at my blog looked really washed out and funny. I figured it had to do with a Windows update. I changed my computer color depth to 16 bits and that seemed to fix it. Then after restarting my computer I noticed that the color scheme had changed again, and the photo looked brighter than I really wanted. So I changed the color depth back to 32 bits and re-did this. I think this is closer to what I wanted.
Basically, I like my images to all be the exact same width. It just looks better. And sometimes getting that was a bit of a hassle.
Before my recent discovery, I’d usually load a photo editing program (sometimes slow) or use a proportion calculator to resize my images to a fixed width of 300 px in order to get constrained image proportions. Sometimes resizing in the WordPress dialogue box would happily create a width of 300 px, right on. But many times the width would be slightly over or under.
Then I saw it. I was fiddling around with the WordPress text editor and simply entered 300 for width, leaving the length unspecified. And voila! WordPress re-sized the image to 300 px and automatically constrained the image proportions. No more waiting for bloated photo editors to load, nor entering data into web page fields.
But there’s an even easier way. Here’s an example (image above-right). I created it with an original width of 296 px, and 384px for height. By opening the WordPress Advanced Settings dialog box and entering 300 in the width and leaving the height blank, it automatically re-sized the image to 300 and got the length proportionally correct. Then, if I go back to look in the Advanced Settings, a numerical value of 389 px shows for the height. And I would never have got that without an editor or external calculator.
It might seem like a small thing. But when time is of the essence, every second makes a difference! 🙂
Things get so hectic round here that I just have to let earthpages slide over the holidays. Still, I love this time of year—after Christmas between New Years. Reminds me I guess of being a kid and having free time to play with all my new toys and gadgets.
So now I’m playing with a new toy, the computer. Been getting into font art. I’ve fiddled with fonts in the past for earthpages banners, so know some of the basics for getting a certain look. But over the past few days I’ve been trying new things. Some of my efforts might be “fails” but others, if I do say so, are promising.
It’s all at Pinterest. Another new pastime that competes with (hopefully compliments) my earthpages time: http://pinterest.com/earthpages/font-fun/