I’m pretty happy. It was a bit warmer today so I felt my creative juices flowing. My keyboard is by a window and when it gets chilly it just knocks all the fun out of it. Not that we don’t have proper heating in the home. We do. But ever since I lived in India I’ve been a wimp when it comes to the slightest chill.
For some years I had an ear infection that only made it worse. My neighbors, if they happened to see thru the windows, probably thought it a bit odd that I always wore a hat indoors. Even now I still wear one more often than not. I’m not trying to look like a Monkee or Avicii. No, I’ve just had this nasty ear infection that goes into agony at the slightest chill.
But thank God, it’s getting better. My doctor prescribed some ear drops that, over time, seem to be making things more normal. It’s still not perfect, but I can at least function outdoors now without too much fear of excruciating inner ear, neck and shoulder pain.
But what I’m most happy about is that I’m back to my music. MY music. Not just listening to other people’s stuff. So now I’m beginning a new tune called “Back on the Train.” I wrote the song, if you can believe it, when I was in my early-to-mid 20s! Yep. I’d just moved on from a relationship and my new roommate played the guitar. So we jammed a lot and recorded crazy, cathartic stuff.
Later that year, another guy sort of permanently set up his drum set in our living room. It was a modest apartment, the first floor of a modest house in a modest town. But friends and prospective dates thought the drums were cool when they came to visit. So that made up for the lack of living space! Not sure how the upstairs neighbors thought about it, tho.
I don’t know when I’ll get this tune finished. Originally it was in the style of Steppenwolf or Lenny Kravitz, a few years before he hit the scene. But today I’m doing it in a stripped down, sort of Daft Punk style.
I might need to dig up a vocalist too, because there’s a melody. But I’ll try it myself. Maybe my voice has deepened over the years. Hope so. Otherwise, I come out something like Neil Young vs. Leonard Cohen. Right on key (my childhood music teacher said I have “perfect pitch”) but definitely not Elvis, George Michael or Bruno Mars!
- Listen To This: Be Somebody! (perezhilton.com)
- Lenny Kravitz: ‘Hunger Games Fans Have No Idea I’m A Musician’ (contactmusic.com)
- Avicii x Daft Punk – Dear Boy (Dave Edwards Remix) [Your EDM Premiere] (youredm.com)
- Christopher Walken And Lenny Kravitz Team In Dan Algrant’s ‘Little Rootie Tootie’ (deadline.com)
- Avicii nominated for “Favorite Artist: Electronic Dance Music” (fitnessfashionedm.wordpress.com)
- Listen: Bruno Mars Invites R. Kelly and Pharrell to Raunchy ‘Gorilla’ Remix (923now.cbslocal.com)
- Vinyl Records are Back! (wgntv.com)
- Kravitz: I have control (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- [Listen] Bruno Mars ft. R. Kelly & Pharrell – Gorilla (Remix) (getmybuzzup.com)
- Leonard Cohen Songbooks: Leonard Cohen – New Skin For The Old Ceremony “Special Guitare” (drhguy.com)