My bedroom is like an electronic cave. It’s unbelievable how much stuff I’ve packed in here. Most of it is a remix of old gear than I’ve had kicking around for ages. This weekend, I guess partly to help getting over the loss of our pastor, I immersed myself in a new remix. The outcome was my “poor boy’s or girl’s 5-way surround sound.” It’s not really surround sound. Because I think that has different info in each channel. But it’s still pretty good.
So how do you do it? (um, yeah… substitute your stuff for mine…)
Take your Mom’s old HK amp that’s been gathering dust for the past few years. Add your Dad’s old Zoltri Sound System (amplified subwoofer and white speakers) that came with his Win 98 PC. Run that from the “tape out” jack in the back of the HK. Add two spanking new Yamaha speakers that you got from your AirMiles card (a shoppers points/rewards system)… and voila, you have the poor boy’s or girl’s 5-way surround sound!
And how does it sound? Well, apart from the slightly audible buzz that comes thru the Zoltri system (still trying to fix that), it’s great! I have tons of control over the levels because it’s sort of two stereos joined at the hip, each with different volume and tone controls.
I love recycling old stuff. So many people – even supposed “Green” people – enjoy running out and buying all the latest gear. But I tend to hold on to and reuse old stuff. Heck, we still have our CRT TVs and monitor! It’s actually very psychological and spiritual. Each piece of equipment means something different to me. Each was important at a certain time in my life. So now I’m remixing in a whole new way.
As the depth psychologist Carl Jung put it, the inside and the outside should mirror one another. And if not, something bad usually happens to restore or recreate a new balance.
- Electronic Reviews (ojpfreelancer.wordpress.com)
- Cnet tech: Get a 5-piece home theater speaker system for $199.99 shipped (reviews.cnet.com)
- How to save the AV receiver (reviews.cnet.com)
- 5.1 Surround Sound Vs Stereo System (fypgroup03.wordpress.com)
- Surround Sound (phyllismoorman.wordpress.com)
- Best Surround Sound Systems 2013 (trustedreviews.com)
- The Ultimate Surround Sound System without Obvious, Bulky Speakers (smarthome.com)
- Philips Fidelio Soundbar: Pain-Free Surround Sound (mashable.com)
- Logitech G430 Surround Sound Gaming Headset review: Surround sound on a budget (pcworld.com)
- Limitless Creations X806 5.1 Surround Sound Computer/Multimedia Speakers System for PC or Home Use with Remote (hometheaterdigest.com)