I’m thinking of changing the license at Earthpages.ca to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial. Right now it’s copyrghted, mostly because I don’t want some scammer to lift the whole thing and publish it as a New Age bestseller. I’ve been working too long and hard on it for that. And don’t laugh. It could happen. After finishing my Ph.D., I wouldn’t be surprised at anything!
However, the problem with it being copyrighted is that it’s hardly inviting for the community to get involved. Why add new entries, I’m sure many think, if Michael W. Clark Ph.D. (whoever HE is…) is just going to profit from my work?
I get it.
So I’m faced with a dilemma. Lift the copyright restriction at Earthpages.ca and risk some reprobate stealing the whole thing and making money out of it. I realize there’s a Non-Commercial Creative Commons License. But I’ve also read about companies scamming photographs with CC Non-Commercial licenses. I think they were sued. But I’m not sure who won.
Myself, I’d really like to avoid that kind of scenario. I don’t want to waste my energy on all that negativity.
So… I’m just thinking about it now. Will have to sort out all the legalities before I make any change. But, again, I realize that copyrighting it is not really conducive to growth from external contributors.
Suggestions welcome. 🙂
- A word about Earthpages (mclark.wordpress.com)
- Crash Course: Copyright, Creative Common, & Credit (umndas.wordpress.com)
- self-defence (heartoflifepoetry.wordpress.com)
- Creative Commons (tnoyes015.wordpress.com)
- Creative Commons Images (com561.wordpress.com)
- Creative Commons Licensing Doesn’t Equal “Free” (lizmasoner.wordpress.com)
- Creative Commons (solenepetitcol.wordpress.com)
- Creative Commons (owentirona.wordpress.com)
- Creative Commons and the affect on social platforms (rachelmotto.wordpress.com)