We had our second power outage in less than a week yesterday. Yikes!
Always trying to look on the bright side of life, if the cuts aren’t too long I tell myself that they can be a good thing. They compel you to question things, talk to your neighbors, and change your routine.
During power outages I often wonder how people before electricity felt. Last night around sunset I looked around my room, making a mental note of what would have worked in the Middle Ages and what wouldn’t have. You know, TV, clock radio, guitar amp, computer. That kinda thing.
Most of the stuff in my room wouldn’t have worked in the Middle Ages. Except for a picture frame holding a sacred image. That would have worked. But, then again, the image inside the frame is a photograph. And they didn’t have photographs back then. So I guess that would have only partly worked.
Then I imagined an early Ontario pioneer woman (don’t know why, really), and how difficult life must have been for her. It gets cold up here, and it must have been a lot of work in the winter months just to stay warm!
After a while, with the light receding, I realized I wanted to get out. Gas for the car and coffee for me. By the time I got home the power was restored.
But can you believe this? The internet connection was down! After rebooting my modem a few times I gave up. Woke up in the middle of the night and it was still down. So what did I do? Ha. What people have been doing for centuries. I read the Bible. And it was great!
Sometimes there’s a Big Good in the diurnal flow of smaller good and bad.
- Power Outage Hobbles Metro-North’s New Haven Line (wnyc.org)
- Oceanside crash causes power outage (utsandiego.com)
- Metro-North service suspended between New Haven and Grand Central due to power outage (pix11.com)
- Survival Tips: How to Prepare for a Power Outage (allstate.com)
- Power outage hits Somerset Collection (wxyz.com)
- Weather a Power Outage at Home with a Supply Kit, Emergency Plan (local.allstate.com)
- Power Outage Limits Metro-North New Haven Line Service (origin.ny1.com)
- Power outages affect Ogden, Farr West and surrounding areas (fox13now.com)
- Grantwood power outage planned Thursday (courierpress.com)
- Westar Energy Working To Prevent Outages Caused By Wildlife (wibw.com)