Category Archives: photography
A lot of people freak out over dandelions. It’s as if they’re not part of nature and some great hostile threat to the middle class homeowner. Projection, probably.
Myself, I just cut them with my push lawn mower and don’t really worry about clearing them from the lawn. By the time summer rolls around you can’t really see them anyhow.
I guess my relaxed attitude toward nature comes from spending childhood summers at Georgian Bay. Now THAT was nature. And it was almost entirely wild and untamed… unclipped.
So when I saw a patch of dandelions at St. John’s rehab not too long ago, I allowed myself to be mesmerized by their beauty.
last night i took off to the beach.. i don’t get too many opportunities to get away, and usually it’s just for a few hours. so when i hit the highway it’s really an event! Coming home I was listening to some of the latest electronica/dance tunes and was stunned by how good these artists are. Some might think that electronic music is soulless or tasteless when compared to so-called authentic instruments. But that’s a crock. Anyone who actually TRIES to do electronic music would appreciate just how talented the new, leading artists are.
I was also thinking about J.S. Bach, whose work I also love. He got all complicated with keyboard notes. And today, producers get all complicated with sounds produced by another type of instrument—the computer. What’s the diff when you get right down to it? A harpsichord or piano is a machine too. It just doesn’t use electricity.
Anyhow, those were my highway musings. I’m mixing down my latest MIDI project and will be posting it here fairly soon. This will be my second attempt at MIDI. Not nearly as good as the greats, but it’s fun (at least, fun when I’m not scratching my head over the technical stuff!).
- Electronic Music Innovations (gordonmcmillan.wordpress.com)
- Electronic Music and MIDI (randallvalentine.wordpress.com)
- Electronic Music (markleverett.wordpress.com)
- Pro Tools / Reason / Axiom 25 (gearslutz.com)
- Electronic Music Innovations “MIDI” (omarcintronblog.wordpress.com)
- MIDI: The Ultimate Electronic Music Innovation (tammyygreen.wordpress.com)
- Midi’s Used Now (chrissgrehan.wordpress.com)
When I was in Ottawa a young artist, Karen Ritchie, living across the hall in my building gave this to me. She simply said “this is for you.” The title is something I’ve just added. As far as I know, it’s untitled. This is a film photograph of a watercolor painting.
Scientists have resurrected the dinosaur from prehistoric DNA… and they’ve called it David Bowie “Rex”
And oh, what a cool beast he is!
Word’s out that the new David Bowie lp is good. So I had to have a listen. And yes, it is… GREAT. After years of diddling around in fashion shows and patting his movie maker son on the back, The Reverend Bowie is back, and wow, this new stuff is hot.
Excuse me for mixing metaphors, scientific and religious. But I think in Bowie’s case it’s justified. I’ve just listened to The Next Day for the first time but already I can discern some really hip 70s and early 80s FM radio influences. A bit of Jim Morrison, Chicago, The Eagles, Heart, Stray Cats, Fleetwood Mac, King Crimson, Yes, Roxy Music, you name it. All the good stuff. It’s like Bowie has run it through some huge refractor lens and bounced it back in a new way for 2013. In a word, focus. And this lp has got it in spades.
A real victory, artistic and otherwise.
- A Daily Bit of Bowie 5 #bowiesewalong (fanbloomingtastic.typepad.com)
- Radio 6 Music celebrates David Bowie over Easter (telegraph.co.uk)
- David Bowie looks to the future with new album The Next Day (metro.co.uk)
- A Daily Bit of Bowie 1 #bowiesewalong (fanbloomingtastic.typepad.com)
- David Bowie returns with new single, album (marquee.blogs.cnn.com)
- David Bowie’s First Album In 10 Years Is Now Streaming Free On iTunes (cultofmac.com)
- David Bowie and Paul Smith collaborate on album T-shirt (fashion.telegraph.co.uk)
- David Bowie – The Stars (Are Out Tonight) (teanbiscuits.com)
- David Bowie – The Stars (Are Out Tonight) (musicofourheart.me)
- David Bowie to be celebrated in week of BBC radio shows (metro.co.uk)
After taking the day trip out to the lake (see below) I managed to get home in time to go out with my family. Here’s a picture of my beautiful niece, just before we left.
taken on feb 10 2013… just played around to make it look like it was found in the attic… (uploaded to Flickr as a jpg). If I’m in a finicky mood, it can be mildly frustrating uploading to Flickr. Compare the color mix to the image below. Personally, I’d like a combo of the two. But if I did that, by the time it’s uploaded to Flickr, the color mix changes again. So… I thought I’d just post both.